Wednesday 21 September 2016

Circles

Today consisted of a lot of circles.

Our induction today included an IOP mechanics survey, which supposedly is so they can get an idea of the sort of level we're at at the end of A level. It was essentially 30 multiple choice mechanics questions, for no purpose other than collecting anonymous information. Anyway, it had a lot of circles on it, both circular motion questions and circles to fill in on the answer sheet in response. When that was done I went on a round trip to KFC, since I had been planning to be back at uni hall for lunch, but realised I wouldn't be, and it just happened to be a conveniently placed source of food. (No, I do not plan on doing that regularly, lunch cost me more than my entire daily food budget)

When I got back to the Trevithick building we had a short talk about student mentors, and then were assigned mentor groups, the idea being that while we're here we have someone to go to who isn't a member of staff, so we can relate to them a bit better, and not feel intimidated. My mentor is a guy called Lewis, who seems nice (although I have to say that because he is quite possibly reading this, Lewis, I'm sorry if I just offended you by adding this bracket, and now I'm in a hole and I'm keeping on digging in the vague hope that one day I might get out the other side... Don't judge me...). In all seriousness though, it's nice to know that there is someone like that I can go to if I'm struggling. Settling in so far has been pretty tough, although now I'm getting to know people a bit better it's not so bad. I've not really made many connections with people on my course so far, because even though I have a group chat for physics people, I don't recognise anybody, and anybody who knows me knows I'm terrible at initiating conversations. (Again, sorry if anyone from said group chat is offended by this). So far I've spoken to about 5 physicists, 3 for more than about 5 minutes, and one of those 3 I'm living with, so it was inevitable.

Anyway, back to circles, so I finished the mentor session at 14:25 and realised the uni hall bus wasn't going to appear for at the least half an hour. Having nothing better to do, I decided to walk to the SU to kill some time and get on the bus sooner, at which point I reallised that the societies fair was today. Of course, by this point it was quarter to 3, and the bus was due to arrive in 5 minutes, so I didn't really have time to look around much. I certainly wasn't convinced I wanted to spend an hour by myself at the union if I missed the bus, so I sent a message to my flat group chat asking if anyone was down at the union, then after receiving no response got on the bus back to uni hall. Of course at this point Michael from my flat sends a message saying he wants to come down to the union, so I made the decision to get the bus straight back down from uni hall. Unbeknownst to me, as I had got on the bus to go back to my halls, Leonie had just got off the exact same bus at the exact same place, and had I reallised this I would have saved an hour round trip, oh well... I actually feel a bit sorry for Leonie, because I'm under the impression she had nothing to do for the entire time I was gone, although I suppose that's what you get for not responding to my messages! (And with that I've definitely offended somebody, sorry Leonie... Stop digging holes Jack)

Oh, I did buy a cool poster today, that's about it really. I think over the weekend I'm gonna try and make my room feel a bit more homely, so I might put some pictures up of that if I get the chance, watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment