Monday 26 September 2016

Worst day ever...?

OK, I caught "Fresher's flu" and it sucks. Sore throat, aches and pains, drowziness and a constant feeling of being cold no matter how many layers I put on. I've not eaten much for the past few days, partly because I haven't been hungry and partly because theres no food in my cupboard to eat, feeling as ill as I am I don't want to leave my bedroom, so the whole thing is a viscous circle spiralling down and down.

Freshers flu by itself would be bad enough, but today, for the first time ever, my alarm failed me.
I had a lecture scheduled for 9 AM, my first one ever at the university. What time do I wake up? 9:20...

The first thing I noticed was that I wasn't as tired waking up as I had expected myself to be, that should have prepared me, but no. I looked at the clock and I saw 9:20. Not only had I massively overslept (the plan was to wake up at 7:30) but I had just 10 minutes to wake up, get ready and actually catch the bus!

For any of you who aren't aware, I'm not exactly particularly close to the physics building, so to illustrate the extent of the problem here's a picture:
Essentially, the Cardiff School of Physics and Astronomy, where I was headed, is a 45 minute walk from my halls. Being in uni hall we get a free study bus, but it's hourly, which means that if you miss it, you're in serious trouble. At the absolute earliest, I was going to arrive at the physics building at about 5 past 10, not only missing the first lecture but also the first part of the second lecture. Not a good start to my time at university.

Labs today was an absolute nightmare. While theoretically it should have been interesting, trying to determine the drag coefficient of air using muffin cases, the lab just dragged on and on and on... I had an awful headache all through the session, and my entire body ached. By the end of the 3 hours I seriously wanted to just go to a corner and sleep for the rest of time. On top of all this, when you have just taken 100 measurements for the time taken for a muffin case to reach the floor, it's totally utterly soul destroying to discover that you've plotted a graph on the wrong scale, using the wrong variables which you accidentally made a mistake in calculating.

To top it all off though, the lab finished at just after 4. The bus back to my hall left the Trevithick building at 4 exactly, and, as I think I've already mentioned, it's an hourly bus. I was therefore left stuck in the rain, without a coat, as in my rush to leave in the morning I had neglected to bring one, forced to pay £1.80 for a bus fare or walk. (I chose the former)

Oh, and did I mention I have no food?

Today was not a good day...

No comments:

Post a Comment