Wednesday 1 March 2017

Day 1 - Opening up

I'll be honest, when I was thinking about doing this 40 day plan, I wasn't really sure what I was going to write at first. I made a google document with a whole bunch of topics, and just put them in an order I thought made the most sense, so this is me apologising right now for the mess that this is likely to become.

(Yes, I went back to the unlock patterns, I might explain the significance later)

Today has been quite eventful. Despite not a whole lot actually having happened, what has happened has been very positive. 

Today we had personal tutorials, which are basically like normal tutorials, but on a one to one. The idea being that it's a chance for people to voice concerns that they might have that are either personal, or just irrelevant to everyone else. This proved to be quite useful, as it meant I was able to get clarification on many things which otherwise I might not have been able to, in particular some stuff regarding labs and other things. Nothing bad, just interesting observations.

One of the things I've found difficult about university so far is the fact that while people are there, and generally able and willing to help you, you need to actually go and talk to them, and admit you're struggling. This has never been something that has come naturally to me, since I tend to prefer doing my own thing and just doing what I can with what I have.

Admitting you need help can be really difficult, but it's the first step on the road to success in life, and chances are if you don't use what is there then you'll never really get anywhere. Despite how you might feel, it's important to realise that people genuinely do care about you, whether that's how you are as a person, or just academically. You might be surprised with the extent people often go to to help you.

I'll leave today with a quote: "Doing a degree is basically about getting comfortable with being uncomfortable" - My tutor

(Not the most helpful advice there eh, but so far true in my experience)

Anyway, it's 3:30 AM, I've delayed writing this post far too long and I need to sleep, so I suppose I'll see you tomorrow - Good Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment