Saturday 4 March 2017

Day 4 - Corinthians


Sorry if this one is a bit short, I wasn't entirely sure where I was going to take it.

tl;dr: I'm a Christian, as you're probably already aware, but I'm not a particularly good one. I'm terrible at remembering to read my bible, or pray about stuff. I need help.

Luckily, I have a great friend called Anna, who has taken it upon herself to send me a text message every evening reminding me to do these things, which I'm not sure she realises how much I appreciate. (Seriously, I know you're reading this, I owe you big time). Not only does Anna remind me to read my bible, she also gives me recommendations for stuff to read in my bible, which is incredibly useful, and she listens to anything I have to say about it afterward, (which is honestly a feat in itself)

It was through Anna then that I came to read Corinthians.

Corinthians is actually two letters, 1 Corinthians and 2 Corinthians, the seventh and eighth books in the new testament, and the first ones I can say I actually managed to read all the way through, by choice. The letters are written by Paul, one of the early Christians, to a church in Corinth (hence the name), and are basically a set of instructions for how the people there should live, as well as some helpful advice for dealing with some of the difficult situations the church as a whole is facing at the time, much of which, taken in a slightly different context, can still be considered incredibly relevant today.

I don't remember the whole thing word for word, since it was over 3 months ago that I actually read it, but there was one particular verse which stuck out to me at the time, which I'm going to share here:

1 Corinthians 10:12-13:

"So if you think you are standing firm, be careful you don't fall! No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so you can endure it."

I don't know what it was about that particular passage, but for whatever reason it stuck out at me, and I felt compelled to share it. 

I guess it's just the fact that generally speaking, until I left for university I had generally just been in quite a stable position, but now that I'm here things are a lot more precarious, and right when I thought I'd settled down, something came to knock me over...

Through all that though, I made an important realisation. It wasn't going to be easy, but I had a way out...

No comments:

Post a Comment