Monday 6 March 2017

Day 6 - Ruth


OK this is a bit of a wierd one, and no, it's not what you might immediately think...

The name Ruth literally means "friend", and so it's perhaps appropriate (if a slightly strange coincidence) that probably the two most significant people helping me transition to University have been called Ruth, and have gone far far above and beyond the call to help me settle in (and seriously, you people are both amazing and I owe you guys so much, and everyone else who has helped me).

I'm not going to go too much into this, since I've already posted about it, but I thought I'd share again a passage from the book of Ruth, in the old testament (the second one I managed to read all the way through by choice)

Ruth 1:16-17:

But Ruth said, "Don't beg me to leave you or to stop following you. Where you go, I will go. Where you live, I will live. Your people will be my people and your God will be my God. And where you die, I will die, and there I will be buried. I ask the Lord to punish me terribly if I do not keep this promise: Not even death will separate us"

Ruth went above and beyond the call of duty to help her friend Naomi. When things got difficult she didn't run away, she stayed with her friend, it's a really moving story, even if it isn't necessarily the most well written. And in many ways it reflects how people have been with me through my life.

I'm not really sure I have too much to talk about with this, so if you want a (slightly) more detailed view on it you'll have to look at my other blog post "River City, Exams, Ruth and one heck of a slide puzzle (and not in that order)". I guess I just wanted to say a massive thank you to everyone who has been there for me, whether your name is Ruth or not. I have no idea where I'd be right now without you, and it means more than you could ever know.

You're amazing, all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment